"Thrift" is one of world's most importanat concepts and a vital idea for the 21st century. It's also frequently misunderstood. Thrift comes from the word "thrive" and can mean:
- The fact or condition of thriving or prospering
- Means of thriving
- Prosperous growth, physical thriving
- Savings, earnings, gains, profit
- That which is saved
- Economical management, economy
From the Oxford English Dictionary
Welcome to the world's most comprehensive site for teaching and studying thrift.
Our vision is to provide high-quality thrift education to every young American, through schools, youth-serving organizations, libraries, houses of worship, financial services organizations, and thrift stores.
We're eager to build partnerships to teach thrift. Please contact us if you are interested.
Thrift earns, manages, plans, saves, and gives.
Read about Pete the Pig
Read the booklet Why Thrift Matters: 20 Propositions
Read the booklet The Way to Wealth: Four Rules
Read the book American Thrift: A Reader
Read Evaluating Thrift: A Report
Watch the video Thrift: In Search of the Art of Living Well
Watch the video Why Thrift? Why Here? Why Now?
In the News
Everyone Knows They're Being Judged with David Lapp
Dan Koch, Depolarize!, 5/9/2017
"Homeward Bound" Addresses the End of Life
Donnette Beckett, Herald & Review, 4/3/2017
Ziettlow Sees Work Get Published
Thomas Schreiber, Le Mars (IL) Daily Sentinel, 3/28/2017
Podcast: Can We Reunite America?
Kerri Miller, Indivisible, WYNC, 3/3/2017
- Better AngelsTo depolarize the American mind.
- Marriage OpportunityTo create a new pro-family coalition.
- Shared ValuesThe arts as cultural diplomacy.
- Thrift!A very old, new, unifying way to think.
- GamblingShould the government be your bookie?
- Homeward BoundFilial Piety in the 21st Century
- ConversationsDavid Blankenhorn talks to interesting people.
- IAV Hall of FameOur best stuff.
- IAV CatalogueFind everything.